Anyone in the market for a used "boyfriend"... I mean, car...
So when I was 17 years old (I know, that was a lifetime ago) I fell in love with a brand new car. It was beautiful. It was fully-loaded. And from the outside it appeared to be the coolest, best looking vehicle around. I remember when I got the car people would ask, "Are you the one that owns that car that everyone wants?" A girl came into the store where I was working and told me that she used to drive the same car, and then quickly informed me that everyone has driven it. Stupid, Bitch, must have just been jealous...
I loved that car and always said I would never love a car the way I loved that one. I was so blinded by the way it looked on the outside; I never considered how much trouble it would bring me. And trouble it brought. It was completely unreliable. So many people admired and loved the car I rarely got to see it. It only seemed to work late at night or when IT wanted to but I loved that damn car.
A few years go by and I leave for college. And the government apparently needed the car, so I gave it up (or it left me, I cant remember). After all, who needs a car when they are in college, right? And then the funniest thing happened - I came home from college the next summer and found another car. It was completely different from my first car. It wasn't as beautiful on the outside, in fact it wasnt even my kind of car. It was a pickup truck... and I hate pickup trucks. But, the truck sure was reliable and one of the most comfortable vehicles I've ever been in. No one really wanted the truck, so I never had to worry about it being stolen, and it never needed work. I fixed the truck up on the outside a little bit, but eventually started to appreciate how it looked and found myself caring a great deal about it. I loved the truck...
But as the saying goes, "the grass is always greener..." And one day, while driving down the road, I saw the car I had originally fallen in love with and I couldn't stop thinking about it. I don't know why; I knew it had given me a lot of trouble in the past, but I just couldn't help it. So, I set out to get rid of the truck I was driving and get the original car back. I took my best friend, at the time, to go see the car. After all, I needed to show it off and wanted to get her final approval. But, I turned my back for just a minute, and the next thing I know my friend is driving off in MY CAR. "SHUT UP," your saying, but that is the truth.
I get back in the truck and drive it for as long as I can. But one day, I see my EX-best friend driving around in my car and I can't take it anymore. I sell the truck, pack up my stuff, and leave town.
Fast forward to today... I found a picture of my original car online (oh, the internet what an amazing invention). And if I didn't absolutely adore the car I am currently driving so much, I am sure I would've been sad for a minute that it wasn't my car. But, despite my currently perfect relationship with the car I am driving, I still wanted to know who was driving the car I had loved for so long. And guess what.. I don't know who is driving that car but, I DID find out who is driving my old truck
Ready? My EX-BEST FRIEND!!!
Moral of the story: Be aware of Best Friends who are actually used car-dealers in disguise. And I am keeping a close eye on my current car, because apparently this friend of mine can't find a damn car of her own!! Anyone see the movie, Single White Female??? My thoughts exactly!!
I loved that car and always said I would never love a car the way I loved that one. I was so blinded by the way it looked on the outside; I never considered how much trouble it would bring me. And trouble it brought. It was completely unreliable. So many people admired and loved the car I rarely got to see it. It only seemed to work late at night or when IT wanted to but I loved that damn car.
A few years go by and I leave for college. And the government apparently needed the car, so I gave it up (or it left me, I cant remember). After all, who needs a car when they are in college, right? And then the funniest thing happened - I came home from college the next summer and found another car. It was completely different from my first car. It wasn't as beautiful on the outside, in fact it wasnt even my kind of car. It was a pickup truck... and I hate pickup trucks. But, the truck sure was reliable and one of the most comfortable vehicles I've ever been in. No one really wanted the truck, so I never had to worry about it being stolen, and it never needed work. I fixed the truck up on the outside a little bit, but eventually started to appreciate how it looked and found myself caring a great deal about it. I loved the truck...
But as the saying goes, "the grass is always greener..." And one day, while driving down the road, I saw the car I had originally fallen in love with and I couldn't stop thinking about it. I don't know why; I knew it had given me a lot of trouble in the past, but I just couldn't help it. So, I set out to get rid of the truck I was driving and get the original car back. I took my best friend, at the time, to go see the car. After all, I needed to show it off and wanted to get her final approval. But, I turned my back for just a minute, and the next thing I know my friend is driving off in MY CAR. "SHUT UP," your saying, but that is the truth.
I get back in the truck and drive it for as long as I can. But one day, I see my EX-best friend driving around in my car and I can't take it anymore. I sell the truck, pack up my stuff, and leave town.
Fast forward to today... I found a picture of my original car online (oh, the internet what an amazing invention). And if I didn't absolutely adore the car I am currently driving so much, I am sure I would've been sad for a minute that it wasn't my car. But, despite my currently perfect relationship with the car I am driving, I still wanted to know who was driving the car I had loved for so long. And guess what.. I don't know who is driving that car but, I DID find out who is driving my old truck
Ready? My EX-BEST FRIEND!!!
Moral of the story: Be aware of Best Friends who are actually used car-dealers in disguise. And I am keeping a close eye on my current car, because apparently this friend of mine can't find a damn car of her own!! Anyone see the movie, Single White Female??? My thoughts exactly!!

2 Comments:
At 12:52 PM ,
himpy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
At 12:57 PM ,
himpy said...
I think you've authored a profound metaphor here. Love it!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home